Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Revisiting an old project

Way back in 2007 I discovered Ball Jointed Dolls, and decided that I could probably make one myself.
I had just received a Jan McLean vinyl doll as a gift, and while I was on the Internet looking at her other porcelain) dolls, I stumbled across Marina Bychkova's Enchanted Dolls. Eventually I found myself at Den of Angels, a large fan-forum for Asian Style BJDs. Way back then they had an artists subforum for people sculpting their own dolls, and I jumped in with both feet.
My first ever BJD was a 53cm tall doll which took me the better part of a year to complete. This poor doll got almost finished, then hacked into pieces and reworked over and over. She was my first experience with working with silicone and resin too. I pulled a complete cast in resin just once - my moulds were not correctly built so I had all kinds of issues with bubbles and miscasts, then I moved onto smaller dolls, where I would be able to experiment without having to risk "wasting" $1000 in supplies again.

This has been a long preamble to say that I have dragged her poor broken prototype pieces out of storage, and have been cleaning them up in preparation for alterations to make her suitable for casting in porcelain (which was what I wanted to do with her in the first place).
She should end up around 48cm tall in porcelain, due to shrinkage.
I will update with photos just as soon as I get replacement batteries for my camera.

1 comment:

Larissa said...

Would love to see some photos :)

Post a Comment